Monday, August 26, 2013

MTV's VMA's versus Porsches


So I am sitting here feeling very old. You see I am watching the MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) with my family. It is bad enough that I called Drake – Blake, and I could not remember Joseph Gordon Levitt’s name to save my life. Man it is getting harder and harder to remember this stuff. OK, I got Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Macklamore + Ryan Lewis, JT and a few more, so maybe I have just a tiny sliver of the pop culture mojo going here. But really, when did Hanna Montana grow up and go all nasty on us? The new Miley Cyrus, it looks like she is trying way too hard. And the Teddy Bear thing was just wrong. Seemed to give the venerable Teddy a bad rap. And just what the heck it twerping? Oh, it twerking…my bad, my wife had to correct me. And Taylor Swift? She has no recent celebrity breakups to write about…so I guess that means no new hit songs. Maybe she can just rush up on stage and b-slap Kayne West during his performance. Wow, that would get some tweets or tweeters or whatever the heck it is called stirred up.

I gotta tell you though, I am very happy that I have had my dose of pop culture. I think I am OK for at least another year. That way when I am at a party (with non-gear heads, because you know what we talk about at parties), and One Direction comes up, I can hold my own. They are Brits right? Or when someone mentions twerking, I will not make the mistake of thinking they said twerping. Nothing shows ones age faster than miss identifying current pop culture phenomena. Although I think that twerking is really just Dirty Dancing for the new millennia. Man you will get called out very quickly and labeled as an old dude and not too hip. That’s just wrong…#OMG #LOL.

So what does this have to do with Porsches? Absolutely nothing, but it has me thinking about the growing old part. I am just wondering where the next generation of Porschephiles are going to come from. It seems that the world is slowly but surely starting to turn to hybrids, diesels and electrics and with the exception of Grand Theft Auto 5, our kids seem to be more interested in cell phones and social media then cool cars. I cannot tell you how many times I have asked my boys if they want to turn wrenches on our fleet of cars. But I usually get a roll of the eyes and the look that says that getting fingernails dirty is not their cup of tea or flavor of Red Bull or whatever they are drinking these days.

So I end up doing the wrench turning on my own. But the way I figure it, as cars get more computerized there will less wrench turning anyway. It is just a module here or a module there. Plug and play. Me? I like getting under a hood and trying to figure stuff out, even if usually get it wrong a time or two. My boys love cars, just not the working on them part. So I wonder who those enthusiasts will be. Will that passion extend past this generation and keep fueling the dreams of kids? Will that Lamborghini Sesto Elemento or Ferrari LaFerrari get posted on a wall, or a home screen or at least maybe a tweet or two? It’s hard to say.

When I look at the landscape of magazines and websites and TV shows they certainly know who their target marketing is, they know who buys their waxes, polishes and classic car insurance policies. And yes, they tend to attract an older crowd, meaning folks my age. And as evidenced by the recent VMA’s, we are not getting any younger. I just hope that our kids pick up our passion and keep the love of all things automotive going. I sure hope my boys do and maybe someday, if I am really lucky and blessed, I will get to spoil my grandkids and get them started down the path to being the next generation of gearheads. That is if electric, hybrid and steam powered cars don’t take over.

We just need to figure out how to make sure that the next generation loves Porsches the same way we do. At this rate, there will be a bunch of older Porsches and nobody to drive them. Hmmm, maybe if I live long enough there will be a glut of old Porsches on the market at rock bottom prices. Good old supply and demand. Yeah! You old guys keep buying them and young car guys like me will be waiting in the wings…

And on that exhaust note, see you all next time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment